Monday, October 12, 2009

The 31 Songs of Rocktober Part Two: 1989-1998

Rocktober: it's the most wonderful, earsplitting time of the year. After Part One: 1979-1988, we're continuing to celebrate with another 10 of an eventual 31 hits—one for each of the last 31 years.

So grab your Strat and your leather codpiece as we get ready to turn it up to 11.

1989: "Dr. Feelgood" - Motley Crue
While I would never elevate a band like Poison or Cinderella into a position of representing a year, Motley Crue has enough musical cred to hold down a spot on the list. While "Dr. Feelgood" definitely rocks, this is also kind of a "Lifetime Achievement" award. Plus, one or more members of the band may have actually worn a leather codpiece, always a plus.

Runners Up: "Paradise City" - Guns N' Roses; "One" - Metallica; "Runnin' Down a Dream" - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers; "Fire Woman" - The Cult; "A Girl Like You" - The Smithereens; "Once Bitten Twice Shy" - Great White; "Higher Ground" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Now here's the video that will make you feel alright ...


1990: "Epic" - Faith No More
Before a tidal wave of plaid shirts and distorted guitars took over rock n' roll in 1991, Faith No More pounded out their epic Epic. While the video managed to soak the band in a man-made monsoon, there apparently wasn't enough water left for a poor goldfish left flopping around on the floor, raising the ire of animal rights groups. However, the band claimed the fish was shot in slow motion, and was safely returned to its bowl. And that may in fact be true given the fish's provenance: it was allegedly either stolen from—or given as a gift by—Bjork (depending on which version of the legend you believe).

Runners Up: "Blaze of Glory" - Bon Jovi; "Black Velvet" - Alannah Miles; "Cherry Pie" - Warrant

Let's check out the famous fish and the song ...


1991: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana
Honestly, never really been a fan of this grunge anthem, or grunge in general (though I have a bit of soft spot for Soundgarden). But obviously this song signaled a huge shift in rock n' roll, including the mainstreaming of so-called "alternative" music. And yes, Nevermind really hit big in 1992, but this single was released in September of 1991.

Runners Up: "Enter Sandman" - Metallica; "Moneytalks" - AC/DC; "Alive" - Pearl Jam; "Give It Away" - Red Hot Chili Peppers; "Jesus Built My Hotrod" - Ministry

Here purportedly is the first live performance of Nirvana's signature song ...


1992: "Remedy" - Black Crowes
Since I didn't want to go back to back with Nirvana, and I've never cared for Pearl Jam, the Black Crowes win '92 by default. But I'm so unexcited by this pick, I'm not even going to look up any info about it. It's sung by that really skinny guy who was married to Kate Hudson.

Runners Up: "Come As You Are" - Nirvana; "Rest In Peace" - Extreme; "Evenflow" - Pearl Jam; "Let's Get Rocked" - Def Leppard; "Life Is A Highway" - Tom Cochrane

I suppose in keeping with the format, I should show some video. At least I can embed the actual music video. Hurray.


1993: "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" - Lenny Kravitz

Ah, now here's a song worth getting excited about. This is another of my all time favorites, with a great riff and a cool video (which, of course, EMI won't let me embed). This was one of the first CDs that I bought (post cassette tape and pre-mp3). VH1 had it as #78 on their "100 Greatest Songs of the 90s," but I would likely have gone at least 30 or 40 places higher.

Runners Up: "Plush" - Stone Temple Pilots; "Livin' On The Edge" - Aerosmith; "Stick It Out" - Rush; "Pride and Joy" - Coverdale & Page

I got to got to know, are you gonna watch the video?


1994: "Vaseline" - Stone Temple Pilots
I came very close to declaring this a tie between this song and "Black Hole Sun." But that seemed too much of a cop out. But a tough call, especially given that both STP and Soundgarden both had two great songs this year (see "Runners Up" below). I'm just glad they got to write and record this song in between Scott Weiland's many stints in rehab.

Runners Up: "Black Hole Sun" - Soundgarden; "Spoonman" - Soundgarden; "Daughter" - Pearl Jam; "Interstate Love Song" - Stone Temple Pilots; "Cannonball" - Breeders

Before you go blind and this video is out of reach, give it a look.


1995: "More Human Than Human" - White Zombie
I had actually awarded this year to the Smashing Pumpkins before I discovered that this was the year Rob and friends put out this extremely hard-rockin' song. Is it as "cerebral" as "Bullet With Butterfly Wings?" Nope. But when you listen, you just want to keep turning it up ... and up ... and up—until your windows shatter and the bass puts you into cardiac arrest.

Runners Up:
"Bullet With Butterfly Wings" - Smashing Pumpkins; "J.A.R." - Green Day; "If I Wanted To" - Melissa Etheridge; "Better Man" - Pearl Jam

Haven't you always thought this song would go great with an ultra-violent anime about vampire hunters? Hey, so did someone who was posting to YouTube! (I said "ultra-violent," right? Consider yourself warned.)


1996: "Machinehead" - Bush
Another year that I'm fairly ambivalent about. I did get married in June of '96, and maybe the fact that our DJ played "Celebrate" despite our explicit instructions not to soured me on music for the whole year. But, hey, somebody's gotta win, so why not Mr. Stefani and company?

Runners Up: "Santa Monica" - Everclear; "Trippin' On A Whole In A Paper Heart" - Stone Temple Pilots; "In The Meantime" - Spacehog; "Stinkfist" - Tool

I've got a video for Machinehead, it's better than the rest (except for the real one, which I'm not allowed to embed).


1997: "Song 2" - Blur
Woohoo! This not very imaginatively titled hit from Blur squeaked out a win over the Foos and the Bosstones (technically ska?). One of the things I like about this song is how compact it is, at right about two minutes even. A little rock nugget. Reminds me of when I went to see the Ramones, who packed about 73 songs into a 90-minute set.

Runners Up: "The Impression That I Get" - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones; "Everlong" - Foo Fighters; "Pink" - Aerosmith; "Gone Away" - The Offspring

Now get your head checked by a jumbo jet and check out the video of this live performance at Wembley Arena.


1998: "Fly Away" - Lenny Kravitz
Hey, a repeat winner! Honestly, nothing really jumped out at me this year. Well, musically. 1998 saw the birth of my first child, so maybe that's why I wasn't paying as much attention. I was already retuning my ear for the Wiggles and Barney.

Runners Up: "Given To Fly" - Pearl Jam; "Blue on Black" - Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band; "Turn The Page" - Metallica; "Psycho Circus" - Kiss; "Most High" - Jimmy Page & Robert Plant

Well, I leave you and Part Two with Lenny rockin' Rio ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi daddy!!!I love your blog! Please comment of mine.