Monday, November 17, 2008

Top 10 80s High School Movies - Part Deux

Welcome to the tepidly anticipated Top 5 of the Top 15 80s High School Movies (that didn't involve John Hughes). After counting down 15-6 in Part 1, we're ready for the cream of the 80s secondary school movie crop.

5. Say Anything (1989)

The next time you watch (or at least see an commercial for) some version of "mixed martial arts"/cagefighting/"extreme fighting," think how close Lloyd Dobler was with his "kickboxing, sport of the future" prediction. To think we all laughed. And then we got a little verklempt as Lloyd hoisted his stereo ...


4. Footloose (1984)
Loosely based on a true story about a small town in rural Oklahoma, Kevin Bacon dances his way into the hearts of Lori Singer and an entire town.

A few other facts I learned during my extensive research (okay, I looked on Wikipedia): the aforementioned Madonna auditioned for Lori Singer's part. And this was an early role for Sara Jessica Parker. From a small town girl named "Rusty" to a neurotic writer looking for "love" in Manhattan. Quite a journey.

Alas, I was saddened to learn that in 2010 we'll see a "Footloose" remake featuring the director (Kenny Ortega) and star (Zac Efron) of "High School Musical." Sigh.

Here are the original crazy kids dancing up a storm at their much-anticipated prom ...


3. Back to the Future (1985)
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that when I first heard the plot for "Back to the Future," I thought it would be terrible, something to do with the oedipal issues I think. Of course I was wrong, and BTF went on to become 1985's #1 movie, spawning two inferior though entertaining sequels. Though BTF2 and 3 did feature the delightful Elisabeth Shue, always a plus in my book (though not enough to get "Adventures In Babysitting" included in this list).

Enjoy the trailer for the complete series' DVDs, then make like a tree ... and get out of here.


2. Risky Business (1983)
Tom Cruise is back for his third appearance. Given that he was a huge star and "high school age" (somewhat broadly defined) during the early 80s, that shouldn't be too surprising. And should you have forgotten his iconic 80s "Old Time Rock n' Roll" scene, you can relive it as part of a new ad campaign for the newest version of Guitar Hero. And while inauthentic, I will watch Heidi Klum over Tom Cruise 10 times out of 10. But maybe that's just me. You can catch Tom in all his sweat-socked, lip-synching glory as part of this trailer ...


1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Dude, we're at numero uno! Saying Jeff Spicoli is one of the most memorable movie characters of not just the 80s, but all time is no overstatement. His quotes alone ("There's no birthday party for me here!") would put this movie on the list. But you also got Hamilton, Damone, Mr. Hand, and the red bikini-ed bliss that was Phoebe Cates.

A few years ago, I was part of a TV commercial shoot at Van Nuys High, one of the locations for Fast Times, and I felt as though I was walking on hallowed 80s ground. I just should have been walking in black and white checked Vans.

Now let's celebrate with some Spicoli, played by none other than the first Mr. Madonna (Warning: some gnarly language).

No comments: